Archive for the ‘2012 introduction’ Category

FOCUS for IPPA in 2012

Sunday, January 8th, 2012

At this moment in our country’s history a movement, now referred to as the Occupy Movement, has arisen on Wall Street in New York City and has spread across the country and beyond our shores. The motivating energy for the movement appears to be outrage over the severe economic inequality existing between the upper 1% and the remaining 99% of our population. The long-term mission of the movement is not yet clear or spelled out, but it appears to enjoy widespread support from many divergent groups within our country. They include the unemployed, labor unions, university students including many with massive educational debt and other citizens of all ages and walks of life. They are angered and energized by the seeming lack of interest and impotence of our government or the private economic sector to acknowledge or address the many underlying causes of this glaring inequality.
 IPPA believes that to address the complex aspects of social and economic malfunction and to better serve the “99%” it will take the implementation of a variety of significant government, private sector and cultural changes and innovative new policies. We also recognize the enormous resistance that exists in all the power centers of this country to the types of changes that will be necessary. IPPA plans to suggest on this blog site such policies that will emphasize not only economic issues but ethical considerations as well. Economic policies should be guided by more than the search for short term profit. They should also be consistent with our ethical standards: maximizing the health and psychological well-being of our families, local communities and our nation’s citizens. Call this value “social benefit”.

We recognize that such policies will not be implemented quickly or easily but for the future success of our country we believe they should be seriously considered on merit and receive honest and open debate. Our goal is also to inform the voting public of its right to expect candidates for election as well as appointed officials to embrace the value of social benefit to individuals and communities along economic considerations in the conduct of government.

IPPA Introduction and Statement of Intent

Monday, August 25th, 2008

This organization, the Interfaith Partnership for Political Action [IPPA], was formed in 2006 by a diverse group of United States citizens. This group is composed of individuals representing almost all the world’s spiritual and humanistic traditions. We have sought out from the many sacred and secular sources of these traditions their common, non-theological values. [See “About IPPA”]  These common values became the core principles of IPPA and are similar to those represented in our country’s founding documents. We wish to emphasize that IPPA is not theologically based and has no religious affiliations.

IPPA’s core values are based on two main principles which can also be found in the Declaration of Independence. These are:

  • the equal worth and dignity of all, encompassing equal protection under the law and equality of economic opportunity.
  • respect for all human life. Including present and future generations.

These two core values give rise to the imperatives for other shared values:

  • sanctity of planet earth
  • tolerance and respect for privacy
  • fairness
  • pursuit of knowledge
  • the need for truth and trustworthy leadership.

Based on these core values we advocate a simple but powerful idea:

Public policies rooted in these core values arising from our shared humanity will serve us better, have more force and a broader appeal than policies based either on narrow ideology or those based on an economic model which says that short term material profit alone is the best means for measuring human happiness and wellbeing.

We plan to present through a series of periodic blog entries a values based discussion of a variety of public issues and policies which we believe are of crucial importance at this critical time for both our nation and world. We hope that, by stimulating informed discussion of the moral imperatives of these many issues, we will help encourage both citizens and political candidates to look at the underlying values that need to be considered in determining the best policies for the future of our country and the world.